Effective July 1, 2011 two Indiana state laws require that IUPUI collect verification of citizenship from every student who plans to attend. The legislation stipulates that students who are not lawfully residing in the United States are:
- ineligible for in-state tuition rates
- ineligible for scholarships, grants, assistantships or other aid funded through the university
An electronic citizenship verification will be available within One.IU (one.iu.edu) for each student who has not yet completed the verification: log into One.IU, click in the Search box and type, citizenship verification and press ENTER. Click the citizenship verification task icon.
It is critical that each student complete the verification when presented to them via One.IU.
Failure to do so will result in reassessment of fees to non-resident rates and removal of any University financial assistance.
ONCE THE VERIFICATION IS COMPLETED:
- Your residency status and financial aid/scholarships will be unaffected if:
- You are a U.S. Citizen
- You are a permanent resident, asylee, or refugee
- You live outside the U.S. and will complete your program while residing abroad
- You are a foreign national with a valid U.S. visa or immigration status
- Your residency status will have to be changed to non-resident and financial aid/scholarships will be removed if:
- You are unable to verify that you are lawfully residing in the U.S.
- NOTE: If you are in the category above and have questions/concerns, please feel free to contact IUPUI's Office of Access and Achievement at 278-2654.
If you are unsure how to complete the verification given your visa/immigration status, contact the Office of International Affairs at 274-7000.
If you are unable to verify lawful status and will lose or not qualify for residency/institutional aid as a result, contact the Office of Access and Achievement at 278-2654.
Other questions should be directed to the IUPUI Office of the Registrar at 274-1519.
Links to relative Indiana State laws:
House - http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/HE/HE1402.1.pdf
Senate - http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/SE/SE0590.1.pdf