Third Party Access
Release information from your student records to a third party
In compliance with the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and the University Policy on Access to and Release of Student Education Records, the University is prohibited from providing certain information from your student records to a third party, such as information on grades, billing, tuition and fees assessments, financial aid (including scholarships, grants, work-study, or loan amounts) and other student record information. This restriction applies, but is not limited to your parents, your spouse, a sponsor, etc.
While University officials are prohibited from releasing your confidential information, you may, at your discretion, grant permission to a third party to portions of your record via Self Service in One.IU.
To pursue granting of Third Party Access:
- You must set up a separate record for each third party to whom you grant access to information from your student records.
- The information you designate will only be made available through the third party Access link in One.IU.
- This authorization does not authorize the third party guest to receive information from the University by any other methods, such as phone, email, or in-person visit. University officials continue to be prohibited from discussing your record with third parties.
When you click the "I Accept" button as part of the process, you are indicating that:
- You understand that any and all personally identifiable information is protected under FERPA.
- You further understand that you may waive that protection and give access to your records to individuals of your choice.
- You agree to waive your rights under FERPA and allow the individual(s) you name to access designated financial and academic records as they are available through the self service Third Party Access application.
- You understand that you are responsible for changing, amending or rescinding this authorization at any time.
- You understand that this access will be revoked when your access to self service expires.
- You are responsible for making clear to the third parties to whom you grant access that this does not allow for University officials to release any information. This access is strictly limited to the self service application.
Please note that your authorization to release information will expire when your access to self service Self Service expires. At that time your third party guest's access will also expire. However, you may revoke your authorization at any time by removing access permission from a third party guest viewer through One.IU. Access can be revoked by deleting the record assigning access to your third party guest.