We want to remind you that the “Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure” will be held on Saturday, April 29th. Set-up for the race may affect traffic on major streets Friday evening, and the Saturday event will greatly affect both traffic and parking on-campus.
The race will begin and end on New York St. and will involve more than 25,000 participants.
- New York St. will be closed during the event on Saturday morning, 4/29 at 5:30 a.m. and should re-open by 1:00 p.m.
- Blackford St. (from Michigan St. to the Canal) will be closed from 6 a.m. until 1 p.m.
- University Blvd. south of Michigan will close at 8:00 a.m.
- Anyone needing access to the Natatorium and the Sports Center will have to use Barnhill Dr. and should plan to park in lots north of New York St. – you won’t be able to exit the Natatorium parking garage until New York St. opens again at 2pm.
- Anyone parked south of New York St. after 7:00 a.m. should expect to be there until approximately 1:00 p.m.
The easiest access to campus before and during the race will be from the West St. exit of I-65 (Exit 114) entering campus from the north. Students & faculty coming from the east should use Michigan St. and those coming from the west should use 10th St.
All surface lots and most garages including Gateway and the Barnhill will be available for the “Race For The Cure” participants. Students can still park at the aforementioned garages and surface lots but will share its use with Race for the Cure participants on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The Blackford Street garage will be reserved for student ST permit holders and BG permit holders during this event. Contact Parking & Transportation Services at email@example.com with any questions.
Traffic on Michigan St. and West St. will be very congested before the event. West St. will be closed from Washington St. to New York St. from early morning until approximately 11 a.m.
More information and maps may be found on the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation website here.